Technical Support Engineer
Cherry & White Ltd is an established company serving Military, Government, Transport and Utility markets. The company is now positioned for a new stage of growth and wish to appoint a Technical Support Engineer who will be fundamental to that expansion, accordingly for the right applicant, a defined career path is available with future options available.
The company markets a wide range of PDH, SDH, Ethernet/IP, Optical Transport and Wireless based networking equipment providing capability up to STM64, MPLS and 4G networks. We provide and manage a variety of SNMP based network management systems that run on Linux or Windows servers. The applicant must have a good understanding of at least one of these technologies.
We are looking for a positive, hardworking candidate who is willing to learn and keep on top of modern communication technologies as the telecommunication industry evolves. The company enjoys a reputation for integrity and strong technical capability, the applicant will need to be a team player who can contribute in an open environment.
A very good understanding of at least two of the technologies below is required with at least a theoretical knowledge of the others (Ethernet/IP/MPLS would be an advantage):
- Layer 2 – Layer 4 based Ethernet/IP technologies including MPLS & MPLS-TP
- Cellular technology covering 2G, 3G & 4G
- Wi-Fi access points and mesh technologies
- SNMP management systems, server and PC operating systems
This person must also be capable of applying this knowledge both on site with customers and in house.
Ideally the applicant should be educated to HNC level or above in a telecommunications field and hold security clearance such as SC or DV.
We provide 24/7 support to our customers so the ability to participate in a “week on – 3 weeks off” out of hours rota is essential. This will take the form phone support, Email support and the occasional site visit.
The company is offering an attractive salary for the right person. The initial employment will be a 6 month trial period followed by a permanent contract if the candidate’s performance has been satisfactory. Upon completion of the trial period the candidate will also be offered a contributory private pension scheme where on Cherry & White will contribute 3% of the annual salary.
- Familiar with a range of test equipment such as oscilloscopes, optical power meters & light sources, frequency counters, BERT’s, cellular scanners and multimetres.
- Good customer facing skills.
- Ability to work as part of team or autonomously using their own initiative.
- The ability to train other members of the team and customers.
- Experienced in fault finding methodology.
- A good work ethic that shows pride in their work.
- The ability to manage fault tickets from beginning to end