The major modifications in ANSI/TIA-942-A from ANSI/TIA-942 include:
- ANSI/TIA-942-A has been harmonized with the TIA-568-C series including the topology, terms, and environmental classifications described in ANSI/TIA-568-C.0, and component specifications in ANSI/TIA-568-C.2 and ANSI/TIA-568-C.3.
- The content of the addenda – ANSI/TIA-942-1 and ANSI/TIA-942-2 – has been incorporated into this Standard and these two documents will be superseded at the time of publication of ANSI/TIA-942-A.
- Category 3 and category 5e are no longer recognized for horizontal cabling. Recognized balanced twisted-pair cable types for horizontal cabling are category 6 or category 6A.
- Recognized multimode optical fiber cable for horizontal and backbone cabling has been changed to OM3 and OM4 850 nm laser-optimized 50/125 m multimode optical fiber cable.
- The Intermediate Distribution Area (IDA) has been added to the data center topology.
- Recommendations for energy efficiency have been added.
- The terms ‘Equipment Outlet’ (EO) and ‘External Network Interface’ (ENI) from ISO/IEC 337 24764 have been added.